As a wedding venue, the Island of Bute offers an historical and cultural setting to rival any in Scotland.
Bute ('fire' or 'beacon fire' or 'victory Isle')
is about fifteen miles long, about three to five miles broad,
and covers 48 square miles. There are fine beaches at Ettrick
Bay, and at Kilchattan Bay, and the scenery at Kingarth is particularly
attractive. Bute was declared a Royal Burgh by Robert III in
1400, Rothesay is the main town on the island, dating mostly
times with its pier and Art Nouveau Winter Gardens of 1924 (now
with a restaurant and cinema), and sweeps along Rothesay Bay
and around Bogany Point.
The western side of Bute is known for its beaches
many of which enjoy fine views over the Sound of Bute towards
Arran and Bute's smaller satellite island Inchmarnock.
Some Points of Interest on Bute
Mount Stuart - The ancestral home of the Marquis
of Bute. The house and grounds are open to the public between
May and September. The current marquis, who also likes to be
Johnny Bute is the former racing driver, Johnny Dumfries. The
wedding of famous fashion designer Stella McCartney was held
in the marble
chapel at Mount Stuart in August 2003.
Prince Charles - Duke of Rothesay is a frequent
visitor to the island. He last visited on 4th June 2008 bringing
the ÔDuchessÕ Camilla to the island for the first time.
He also was guest of honour at the Bute Agricultural Show in
August 2006, spending several hours touring the showground, stopping
chat to exhibitors and members of the public .
Ascog Fernery and Gardens - Restored over a
period of years and opened in 1997 this charming and impressive
Victorian Fernery is the only one of its kind in Scotland. It
has been replanted with fern species from around the world. Open
April till Mid October.
St Blanes Chapel - In a beautiful and peaceful
spot overlooking Dunagoil in the south of the island are the
remains of St Blanes Chapel. St Blane was born on Bute in the
educated in Ireland and returned to the island to establish his
monastery. The graveyard contains the graves of 7th & 8th century
bishops and abbots.